Sunday, August 23, 2015

Why do I educate my children at home?

 Enjoying one another's company....
We are gearing up to start another year of homeschool... we've been at this for 16 years!  Why do we continue?  I ponder, I muse and I read the word of God and it still says the same thing....

Do not fear.  Do not worry.  Yep, these are commands.  These are not options.

Along with... "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge:  but fools despise wisdom and instruction."  Proverbs 1:7

I do not homeschool because I'm good at it.  I do not homeschool because it is easy.  I do not homeschool to feel good about myself.  I do not homeschool because I am afraid my children will be tainted by the world.  I do not homeschool to receive a reward.  I do not homeschool to exercise my rights and freedoms. 

I have been guilty of all of the motivations above at one time or another.  Whether or not how you, as a parent, decide to educate your children, you could probably say some of the same things.

Proverbs 2:6-9, "For the Lord giveth wisdom:  out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.  He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous:  he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.  He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.  Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path...."  THIS INCLUDES THE DEFINITION OF A GOOD EDUCATION

You can't argue with God.... He is truth.  He is love and all His ways are just.  Not fair, just.  Read some Old Testament stories.... study the New Testament and understand how good, and merciful and loving He really is.  Read the Bible in it's entirety, you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find. 

So, why do I educate my children at home.....you cannot have a true education apart from Jesus Christ. 

Science: He authored it, we simply discover it.  Isn't He amazing? 
History:  He allows it, we simply write it down.  Isn't He amazing?
Languages:  He speaks it, we simply communicate.  Isn't He amazing?
Art:  He expresses Himself through the beauty of His creation, we are simply His creation responding in like fashion.  Isn't He amazing?
Math:  He developed the work week.... seven days and one in which to rest.  Genius!  Infinity was His idea.  Numbers never end and neither do the workings of mathematics every day.  What wonderful abilities He gave us.
P.E.  He gave us these physical bodies to feed, care, and clothe.  What a joy to be able to run, laugh, jump and move within gravity.

So, I could go on and on, but you get the picture.  We aren't the ones bright enough to design anything without some sort of raw material.  He designed all this with nothing!  Incredible. 

So, we are made in His likeness and image and we love to create just as He has done.  We are free to do as we please with these lives of ours and free to choose how we're educated or how we will educate our children.  Let it all be for the glory of God and our good.  We will reap what we sow.  This is how we learn. 

CELEBRATE THE FREEDOM TO EDUCATE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment